Hon. George Coles Building

Hon. George Coles Building

Construction of the Honourable George Coles Building, then known as the Law Courts Building and located east of Province House on Queen’s Square, began in 1874. It was designed by local architect Thomas Alley. The Supreme Court of Prince Edward Island first met in the building on January 11, 1876, and continued to do so until 1976, when the building was severely damaged by fire. A new court building was constructed near the Charlottetown waterfront and the Law Courts Building was repaired and renovated to house offices and the Public Archives of Prince Edward Island.

The building was renamed the Hon. George Coles Building, after the first premier to lead Prince Edward Island under responsible government. He was also a Father of Confederation.

The Honourable George Coles Building is Italianate in its design, which was popular with architects in the 19th century. It currently houses Government Members’ Offices, Office of the Official Opposition, and the Public Archives of Prince Edward Island.The building is currently undergoing renovations to serve as the temporary home of the Legislative Assembly while Province House undergoes restoration.

1st floor – Legislative Assembly Chamber (under renovation)

2nd floor – Government Members’ Office

3rd floor – Office of the Official Opposition

4th floor – Public Archive and Records Office